Sunday 19 June 2016

JOLLOF RICE - SPECIAL


So, as I typed the Post-heading, auto-correct changed my "jollof" to "jolly"...can you imagine?? I wonder why there's no jollof rice in the dictionary yet. Jollof Rice as we all know is our "vintage dish" our very own "signature dish" at every event. I once saw a quote that goes thus; "A party without jollof rice is a meeting" and yes, it's absolutely true. Funny how this is my first jollof rice recipe on the blog, it's probably because I believe most people know how to prepare jollof rice.

Even after this thought, my inner mind still pushed me to post this, I feel we all prepare this meal differently but it won't be a bad idea trying out a new recipe. Kudos to my mum for teaching me different methods of preparing this meal, she believes any meal can be tweaked to every individual's taste, and that is absolutely true as well. So here goes my own version and I hope you like and try it out.

Ingredients

3 cups of rice
Tomatoes, Tatashe, 2 large onions, scotch bonnet(ata rodo)
Thyme, Turmeric
Tomato paste
1 large onion, sliced
Garlic cloves, grated
Beef stock or chicken stock
3 cooking spoon of canola oil
Knorr chicken
Salt to taste
Bay leaves

Method

  • First, blend tomatoes, tatashe, onions and ata rodo, to form a puree. Pour in a pot and cook until all the water in the pepper dries out. Check picture below;

 
  • Parboil rice for 10 minutes (TIP: Rinse after boiling and not before, this step helps to remove all the starch properly)
  • Mix tomato paste with the boiled pepper
  • Heat 3 spoons of oil in a pot, ( Use an aluminium pot, Because we're about to BURN)
  • Saute garlic and onions for about a minute in the hot oil, then add the pepper mix and fry for about 2 minutes (Notice that frying takes less time and that's because the pepper mix was boiled). Add thyme and turmeric (you can swap curry for turmeric)
  • Now, add beef stock and bring to boil (Depending on the quantity of the broth, you can add some water)
  • Now add rice and bay leaves and mix with a wooden spoon...Now, let the burning begin... allow the rice to BURN until there's no pepper paste. check picture below;

  • Now, stir in the seasonings to taste and also check if the rice is soft enough, else sprinkle water
  • Reduce fire heat, and allow to steam until rice is evenly cooked.
  • Serve with livestock of choice. 
  • Enjoy...



No comments:

Post a Comment